If you’re a new parent, you’ve probably been scouring the internet trying to learn everything there is about babies and their developmental milestones. Infants go through many changes during their first 12 months, and it’s important to remember that no two infants will develop at the same pace. While one child may reach a milestone early on, another may take months to acquire the same skill. In this blog, we’ll take a look at some important developmental milestones so you have an idea of your baby’s progress.
At Joyful Praise Academy, we believe that enrolling your child in early education is the best way to set them up for success in life. That’s why we’ve created a wonderful infant program for babies, specifically designed to meet the developmental needs of infants while providing them with a safe and comfortable environment to grow and learn in.
Milestones for Newborns to One Month
When your newborn comes into the world, they will immediately begin to develop physical , cognitive, and emotional milestones. During the first month of your baby’s life, you can expect your little one to:
- Develop basic reflexes that are needed to survive such as sucking, swallowing, coughing, gagging, grasping, and blinking.
- Watch an object that is 12 to 15 inches away, especially if it is moving slowly.
- Distinguish smells and taste. Your baby may prefer sweet-tasting liquids and might begin to recoil from unpleasant smells.
- Turn in the direction of their mother’s voice.
Milestones for Newborns Between One to Four Months
Between one and four months of age, your baby will start to become more aware of their surroundings. You can expect your baby to:
- Lift their head and chest to look both ways.
- Move their head towards different colors and changes in lighting.
- Smile when someone else smiles at them.
Milestones for Babies Between Four to Eight Months
Between the age of four to eight months, your little one will start purposely reach for things by coordinating their hands and eyes, which opens up a ton of new doors for them. You can expect your baby to:
- Support a bottle on their own during feeding.
- Babble in a rhythmic fashion.
- Recognize their regular caregivers and family members.
If you live near Alpharetta and you’re looking for a Top Rated Local® Child Care Provider, contact Joyful Praise Academy today! We offer an infant program and toddler program for young children, as well as pre-school and school-age programs.